Current:Home > StocksTanker believed to hold sanctioned Iran oil begins to be offloaded near Texas despite Tehran threats -Capitatum
Tanker believed to hold sanctioned Iran oil begins to be offloaded near Texas despite Tehran threats
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 07:23:38
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — An American-owned oil tanker long suspected of carrying sanctioned Iranian crude oil began offloading its cargo near Texas late Saturday, tracking data showed, even as Tehran has threatened to target shipping in the Persian Gulf over it.
The fate of the cargo aboard the Suez Rajan has become mired in the wider tensions between the U.S. and the Islamic Republic, even as Tehran and Washington work toward a trade of billions of dollars in frozen Iranian assets in South Korea for the release of five Iranian-Americans held in Tehran.
Already, Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard has warned that those involved in offloading the cargo “should expect to be struck back.” The U.S. Navy has increased its presence steadily in recent weeks in the Mideast, deploying the troop-and-aircraft-carrying USS Bataan and considering putting armed personnel on commercial ships traveling through the Strait of Hormuz to stop Iran from seizing additional ships.
Ship-tracking data analyzed by The Associated Press showed the Marshall Islands-flagged Suez Rajan was undergoing a ship-to-ship transfer of its oil to another tanker, the Mr Euphrates, near Galveston, Texas, some 70 kilometers (45 miles) southeast of Houston. That likely will allow the cargo to be offloaded.
U.S. officials and the owners of the Suez Rajan, the Los Angeles-based private equity firm Oaktree Capital Management, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The saga over the Suez Rajan began in February 2022, when the group United Against Nuclear Iran said it suspected the tanker carried oil from Iran’s Khargh Island, its main oil distribution terminal in the Persian Gulf.
For months, it sat in the South China Sea off the northeast coast of Singapore before suddenly sailing for the Gulf of Mexico without explanation. Analysts believe the vessel’s cargo likely had been seized by American officials, though there still were no public court documents early Sunday involving the Suez Rajan.
In the meantime, Iran has seized two tankers near the Strait of Hormuz, including one with cargo for U.S. oil major Chevron Corp. In July, the top commander of the Revolutionary Guard’s naval arm threatened further action against anyone offloading the Suez Rajan, with state media linking the recent seizures to the cargo’s fate.
“We hereby declare that we would hold any oil company that sought to unload our crude from the vessel responsible and we also hold America responsible,” Rear Adm. Alireza Tangsiri said at the time. “The era of hit and run is over, and if they hit, they should expect to be struck back.”
Iran’s mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment over the offloading of the Suez Rajan. Western-backed naval organizations in the Persian Gulf in recent days also warned of an increased risk of ship seizures from Iran around the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers saw it regain the ability to sell oil openly on the international market. But in 2018, then-President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew from the accord and re-imposed American sanctions. That slammed the door on much of Iran’s lucrative crude oil trade, a major engine for its economy and its government. It also began a cat-and-mouse hunt for Iranian oil cargo — as well as series of escalating attacks attributed to Iran since 2019.
The delay in offloading the Suez Rajan’s cargo had become a political issue as well for the Biden administration as the ship had sat for months in the Gulf of Mexico, possibly due to companies being worried about the threat from Iran.
In a letter dated Wednesday, a group of Democratic and Republican U.S. senators asked the White House for an update on what was happening with the ship’s cargo, estimated to be worth some $56 million. They said the money could go toward the U.S. Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund, which compensates those affected by the Sept. 11 attacks, the 1979 Iran hostage crisis and other militant assaults.
“We owe it to these American families to enforce our sanctions,” the letter read.
The U.S. Treasury has said Iran’s oil smuggling revenue supports the Quds Force, the expeditionary unit of the Revolutionary Guard that operates across the Mideast.
Claire Jungman, the chief of staff at United Against Nuclear Iran, praised the transfer finally happening.
“By depriving the (Guard) of crucial resources, we strike a blow against terrorism that targets not only American citizens but also our global allies and partners,” Jungman told the AP.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Mike Tyson has lived a wild life. These 10 big moments have defined his career
- 13 Skincare Gifts Under $50 That Are Actually Worth It
- Bev Priestman fired as Canada women’s soccer coach after review of Olympic drone scandal
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Officer injured at Ferguson protest shows improvement, transferred to rehab
- Trump ally Steve Bannon blasts ‘lawfare’ as he faces New York trial after federal prison stint
- The Best Gifts for People Who Don’t Want Anything
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Tony Hinchcliffe refuses to apologize after calling Puerto Rico 'garbage' at Trump rally
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Ben Foster files to divorce Laura Prepon after 6 years, according to reports
- Republican Gabe Evans ousts Democratic US Rep. Yadira Caraveo in Colorado
- November 2024 full moon this week is a super moon and the beaver moon
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- A pregnant woman sues for the right to an abortion in challenge to Kentucky’s near-total ban
- The Best Gifts for People Who Don’t Want Anything
- Texas mother sentenced to 50 years for leaving kids in dire conditions as son’s body decomposed
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Will the NBA Cup become a treasured tradition? League hopes so, but it’s too soon to tell
John Krasinski Reveals Wife Emily Blunt's Hilarious Response to His Sexiest Man Alive Title
'I heard it and felt it': Chemical facility explosion leaves 11 hospitalized in Louisville
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Who will be in the top 12? Our College Football Playoff ranking projection
'Yellowstone' premiere: Record ratings, Rip's ride and Billy Klapper's tribute
As CFP rankings punish SEC teams, do we smell bias against this proud and mighty league?